VIXX’s Ravi Apologises To Red Velvet Over Sexual Lyrical References

VIXX member Ravi (라비) landed in hot waters this week over the allegedly sexual references to Red Velvet (레드벨벳) in the lyrics of his new song, also titled “Red Velvet”.

The song initially appears to be referencing the red velvet cake (yes, the dessert). However, things took a different turn when the rapper began making several direct references to the K-pop group.

Source: Twitter

In the song, Ravi raps the line, “Dumb, dumb, dumb / Dumb, dumb, dumb.” For the uninitiated, “Dumb Dumb” is the title of one of Red Velvet’s most popular songs, which was released back in 2015. Additionally, the explicit song also includes the line “Russian roulette“ – which seemingly refers to the title of Red Velvet’s 2016 single.

On top of that, the lyrics also include the words, “sooyoung-haneun” and “yeri-hagien”. These words literally translate to “swimming” and “sharp” respectively. Still, many believed it has a double meaning. In this case, they speculated that Ravi was referring to two Red Velvet members, Joy (real name Sooyoung) and Yeri.

Ravi
Source: AllKpop

Many lines in the songs have also incited rage among K-pops fans due to its sexual nature in addition to the several direct references to the idol group. The controversy got worse after Ravi denied that the song made references to Red Velvet, insisting that it was about the cake. He also clarified that he doesn’t know the members personally, much to the dismay of many netizens.

Despite his claims, a few fans pointed out that Ravi did work with Yeri on a few projects. This include the music video for the 2020 version of Cool’s “Sorrow” where he appeared as Yeri’s older brother, further causing controversy, as well as the song “Woman On The Beach” with AB6IX’s Woong.

After facing massive backlash from fans and netizens alike, the 28-year-old came up with an official statement to address the controversy surrounding the aforesaid track. He also took the time to personally apologise to the members of the “Psycho” hit-makers who were mentioned in the lyrics.

The lengthy statement reads:

“Hello, this is Ravi. I would like to discuss the controversy surrounding the B-side track included in my new album, ‘Roses’.

First and foremost, I would like to sincerely apologize to the members of the girl group Red Velvet, who were mentioned in the lyrics, and to all agency affiliates. Second, I apologise to the many fans who have watched over me. I also apologise for my delayed apology, when I should have spoken up as soon as possible.

Ravi
Source: NME

I struggled deeply about the order by which I should take responsibility for this recent issue. Earlier today, I delivered a personal apology to the members of Red Velvet through their agency, as well as to their affiliates. Of course, I feel a heavy burden for creating such an unfortunate situation in the first place.

Not only that, but as someone responsible for my agency GROOVL1N, I am deeply reflecting on my carelessness regarding this situation. I am ashamed that while working on the lyrics, I failed to realize how much the contents would cause discomfort for so many people.

Source: GROOVL1N

I hoped to create a song with a sweet and bright energy; however, due to the fact that a specific group was mentioned, the particular artists as well as their fans were directly affected; as the lyricist of this track, I do believe that the responsibility for the issue falls to me.

As a result, I have come to an agreement with the music distributor to delete this track from all platforms. It may take some time before the change takes full effect; but I will do my best to take prompt measures.

Additionally, I promise to work on music with utmost care and caution from now on. Once again, I apologise to all those who may have been disappointed in me through this recent issue, and I will do my best to not disappoint you again.

Thank you.”

Sources: K-pop Starz. AllKpop.

The post VIXX’s Ravi Apologises To Red Velvet Over Sexual Lyrical References appeared first on Hype Malaysia.



Post a Comment

0 Comments