Interview: Korean Rapper Loco On His Songwriting Process & New Music

Well known rapper in the Korean music industry Kwon Hyuk Woo, better known as Loco (로꼬), recently made an appearance for the Tiger Soju Flavoured Lager launch party which took place at Tropicana Gardens Mall. His presence was meant to officiate the event’s launch as the product is inspired by the playfulness and fun that K-cultures which simultaneously align with his experimental music style. 

Loco’s journey began when he won the first season of Mnet’s rap competition “Show Me The Money” in 2012, boosting him to debut under Jay Park’s music label known as Above Ordinary Music Group (AOMG). This led to him producing hits including “No More”, “You Too (너도)” and Don’t Give It to Me (주지마)”. Luckily, we were given the opportunity to interview him on his career and creative process over the years.  

Do you have a most memorable place you visited this year? If so, could you recommend it to your fans along with the reason why?

This year, it feels like I’ve mostly been either at performance venues or at home…! Oh! There was a time when I went on a picnic at Olympic Park with friends on a nice day. Instead of always going to performances, it was nice to relax and enjoy the breeze and people-watching. Personally, I think it remains in my memory strongly because it was evocative in many ways.

Among all the songs you’ve released so far, do you have a favorite lyric personally? (It doesn’t have to be from a recent release!)

It didn’t happen ! It’s the lyric of the song ‘DUMB’. Things we worry about often don’t end up happening. This lyric still gives me a lot of courage to this day.

You’ve collaborated with various artists, each time receiving much love from fans with different styles. What are the usual differences you encounter between collaborating and working on solo projects?

For me, the advantage of collaboration is that the song’s subject matter can become more relatable to more people. My songs tend to focus on my personal story and emotions, but when I collaborate, I think different opinions come together and create a different feeling. Of course, musically, I can work with a more open mind! 

What’s your typical process when writing lyrics or working on songs?

These days, I think I mostly start with the keyword and bpm.

I specifically convey to the producer the emotion I want to express, keywords, and bpm, and when I receive the sketch beat, I write the lyrics, compose the song, and record a demo. Then the producer does the final arrangement based on it, and I do the final recording. This is the way of doing it!

Do you have any upcoming activities planned?

I’m trying to release as many songs as possible this year. Stay tuned for the exciting second half of the year.

What are you looking forward to most for the Tiger Soju Flavoured Lager launch party in Malaysia?

Above all, it’s the first time local drinkers get to enjoy Tiger Soju Flavoured Lager together. So, I’m super excited to share this energy with my Malaysian fans.

Watch his energetic live performance here:

Contributed by Justin & Ariani 

The post Interview: Korean Rapper Loco On His Songwriting Process & New Music appeared first on Hype MY.



Post a Comment

0 Comments