Interview: WOLF HOWL HARMONY From EXILE TRIBE On Their Music, Their Seniors & Future Goals

The music industry is seeing a surge of songs that emulate the vibes of the 90s and early 2000s to bring that exhilarating kick of nostalgia into the charts. One of the many groups that jumped on the trend was J-pop act WOLF HOWL HARMONY From EXILE TRIBE, who released the much-loved track “Frozen Butterfly”. The song was lauded for its nostalgic sound and put WOLF HOWL HARMONY and their music on the international map.

As their full name suggests, the four-member group from Japanese label LDH Japan is part of the EXILE TRIBE collective. This means that from the get-go, the group had to deal with a lot of pressure to follow in the footsteps of their reputable seniors like GENERATIONS, THE RAMPAGE and, of course, EXILE. With the release of their latest single “Pink Flash Lights”, we had the opportunity to interview the boys of WOLF HOWL HARMONY – RYOJI, SUZUKI, GHEE and HIROTO – to learn about the group, their music and more. Keep reading to see what the talented quartet had to say:

SOURCES: LDH JAPAN

Hi guys, thanks for talking to Hype Malaysia! Let’s start with learning more about WOLF HOWL HARMONY. Can you tell us a story of how the group was formed?

RYOJI: We met and formed at an LDH-sponsored audition called iCON Z. SUZUKI and I had originally been working together as a chorus group called DEEP SQUAD, but we decided to use the iCON Z audition as an opportunity to grow more as dancers, performers, and artists, so we joined the group. I met GHEE and HIROTO through this audition.

SUZUKI: The group was formed by a group of “lone wolves” who had experienced various life experiences through an audition called iCON Z. We wanted the group to not only sing, but also harmonize our lives together.

GHEE: This four-member group was formed through an audition called iCON Z. The group features vocals and rapping. The name of the group was given by HIRO-san because he wanted the four “lone wolves” to come together and play the harmony of life.

HIROTO:GHEE and I auditioned for iCON Z and were aiming to debut with the same group, but we were eliminated in the finals and HIRO-san gave us a new chance for a second chapter. 

What about your pre-debut activities? Were any of you doing anything musically before joining WOLF HOWL HARMONY? If not, what were you doing before this?

RYOJI: Before WOLF HOWL HARMONY was formed, I was active in “DEEP SQUAD”. Before joining LDH, I worked and produced music, wrote rap songs, and sang in clubs.

SUZUKI: Before joining iCON Z, I was active in a group called “DEEP SQUAD”. Before that, I had been performing music by myself at live houses and other places.

GHEE: I was working on my own personal activities before the audition, performing at live music venues and doing online gigs.

HIROTO: Before taking the iCON Z audition, I wanted to become a nurse, and while attending nursing school, I was learning vocals at a school called EXPG, and doing both at the same time.

Let’s talk about the group’s music. You guys recently released your latest single, “Pink Flash Lights”. What was the inspiration behind the track and the concept?

RYOJI: This work focuses on the season of spring. Spring is the season of new encounters and partings, and we all have that feeling of being struck by lightning when we fall in love at first sight with someone we meet for the first time, right? This was the starting point for the development of the project, which was discussed by the production team and other members.

SUZUKI: This song is the first in a trilogy of three songs on the theme of youth. The theme of the song is love at first sight, and the lyrical and sound sensations of the song should feel like the shock of being struck by lightning when you fall in love at first sight, and the feeling of your vision being dyed pink.

GHEE: This is the first of a trilogy of three consecutive releases on the theme of youth. The concept of this song is “love at first sight.” The song expresses the shock of being struck by pink lightning after falling in love at first sight.

HIROTO: This is the first song in our coming-of-age trilogy, which is the theme of the songs we will be releasing. We have tried to express the feeling of pink lightning flowing through our bodies that happens when we fall in love at first sight, through our music. The song is fast-paced and the lyrics are catchy! Please listen to it when you are in high spirits, or on the other hand, when you are feeling down! We will give you a push!

Your previous song, “Frozen Butterfly”, also received tons of praise, particularly for the 2000s/Y2K sound. What are your thoughts about the comments you received on the track?

RYOJI: We were very happy to hear a greater response from many more people than we had hoped for, and we knew that this would definitely be representative work for Wolf. The Y2K sound style is the core of Wolf’s style, and we hope to expand this music even more as people hear it for the first time.

SUZUKI: When we created this song, I had the image of music from the 2000s in mind, so it was exactly what I was aiming for, and I was very happy. I was also happy to be able to sing this song because it was a taste of music that I used to like and listen to in the past.

GHEE: When we were growing up, we would often be listening to songs from the 2000s, so upon creating this song, we talked about wanting to evoke that nostalgic feeling as well as the refreshing feel of the song for the young people nowadays. This is why I was very happy to hear and see such comments on social media, and it was also a new experience for us as we realized that culture is changing and circulating with the times.

HIROTO: We were also meticulous about many aspects of the music, such as the tone of the songs, the fashion, and the visuals in the music videos, so we were very happy to hear that many people said they liked the texture of the music and that it was nostalgic – that what we wanted to express came across properly.

Besides official releases, you guys also show off your singing skills through the “WOLF VOICE” series on YouTube. Can you introduce this cover series and why you chose to create it?

RYOJI: We created this series because we want more people to know about our singing and rapping, which are our weapons. By covering various people’s songs, we hope that people who have never heard of us will get to know us, and we would be happy if we could create such a space where people who have encountered us through our music and listened to our songs can communicate with each other, saying, “This song is different from the original song and has some interesting points.”

SUZUKI: We started this project because we wanted more people to hear our songs. When we choose songs, we discuss with them what we want to convey and whether they are suitable for us or not.

GHEE: We started this project because we wanted people to get to know us through YouTube. Our group is known for our singing and rapping abilities, so we would like to deliver our songs to more people through social media regardless of the genre. The number one reason is that we want people to know who we are, and we want people who don’t know Wolf to know that we sing these kinds of songs when they see us.

HIROTO: I believe that the strength of WOLF HOWL HARMONY is our songs, so I felt that this kind of series is the best way to make people more aware of its charms, and since we belong to LDH, we also want to pass on the wonderful songs of our seniors.

As the most recent EXILE TRIBE group to debut, there must have been a lot of pressure to succeed. How do you overcome this pressure? Or do you find that the public’s expectations drive you guys to want to achieve more as a group?

RYOJI: I myself am still a novice, but after living with the members and creating music together, I realized that each one of us has good personal qualities. We also have every LOVERED who listens to and supports us as one, and enjoys each and every voice. It is because of these amazing moments that I feel that our songs are great as they are, and I want to spread them to more and more people, so I feel that I will turn the pressure I am under now into an opportunity.

SUZUKI: Thanks to our fans who love our music and follow us, and to the staff who always support us nearby, we are able to do our best to play the music we love. Our goal remains the same no matter what the circumstances, so we just keep moving toward it.

GHEE: We originally lacked confidence in our group. There were many groups that were very good at dancing, but we were not specialized in dancing, so we felt inferior in some way. However, we realized that we had our own unique colors, music, and voice, and that we could be a unique group if we just kept on being ourselves and working as we were. We were able to get over it. Of course, the fans who supported us at that time also gave us courage and power, which motivated us.

HIROTO: We feel that we still have a long way to go, and just as our seniors have grown up by watching their seniors’ backs, we would like to watch their big backs and become artists who are recognized around the world!

With respectable seniors like EXILE, GENERATIONS, THE RAMPAGE and more, you must have received a lot of advice for your career. Can you share the best advice you’ve gotten from your seniors in LDH?

RYOJI: I have been communicating with KAZUKI of DOBERMAN INFINITY, and he always tells me “Let’s prove it with music”, and for me, music is one of the ways to express myself. Thanks to his words of encouragement and support, I am encouraged to work harder!

GHEE: Everyone advises us to always keep our dreams alive. They say that you should always have a big dream, keep your goals high, and always imagine and act on your dreams, which will lead you to your future.

HIROTO: When I was in EXPG, RIKU of THE RAMPAGE taught me that it is important to imagine yourself shining. He told me that I should be able to imagine that shining image of myself and think about what I should do to reach that point. Thanks to that, I was able to improve my frame of mind and think about how I should grow as an artist.

SUZUKI: When I heard HIRO-san say to me, “You stop being prideful when you are serious about achieving something,” I reaffirmed the importance of my persistence in being serious about achieving my dreams.

SOURCE: TWITTER (@BattleOfTokyo)

You’re also performing alongside your seniors for the BATTLE OF TOKYO concert later this year. How do you feel about sharing the stage and officially joining the project?

RYOJI: I am really happy to be participating in BATTLE OF TOKYO for the first time, and since this is a battle, I feel that I want to battle seriously so that I can create more power that will be generated at the end of the clash between the two groups. We will do our best so that many people will get to know us through this opportunity!

SUZUKI: I am very honored. I would like to collaborate with my seniors and make the whole project exciting, so I would like to make it as exciting as possible and establish Wolf’s style and presence.

GHEE: We are very honored to be able to perform on the stage that we have always admired and watched, and we are also very enthusiastic about collaborating with our seniors on the stage because it is a dream come true. This time we will be performing in a VS format, so I want to compete with my seniors as much as possible.

HIROTO: I have been watching BOT live as a fan, so I am really happy to be able to stand on the same stage with my seniors this time, and most of all, I am really happy to be able to perform with Sota Nakajima of FANTASTICS, whom I have always respected, on the Dream Stage.

Can you share a teaser of what fans can expect from your BATTLE OF TOKYO debut?

RYOJI: I hope that you will look forward to our music with the PSYCHIC FEVER members, especially the music and the music video. We recently finished shooting the music video, and I feel that we were able to create a strong chemical reaction between the two groups, so I hope you will enjoy it!

SUZUKI: We recently shot a music video for a collaboration song with PSYCHIC FEVER, and I think it turned out pretty cool! Please also look forward to our collaboration with MA55IVE!

GHEE: The fans can look forward to our collaboration with the seniors, as well as the collaboration stage chemistry and live performances.

HIROTO:This time, we collaborated with PSYCHIC FEVER, and we often feel that PSYCHIC FEVER’s unique aspect is similar to our own, and I think that LOVERED are looking forward to seeing us stand up to our seniors with all our might, so we will also do our best not to lose to them! We will do our best to face up to our seniors!

SOURCES: TWITTER (@WOLFHOWLHARMONY)

You will also be celebrating your first anniversary in August. What has been your best memory so far?

RYOJI: The best memory that I can trace back to the past is when I was in front of the people who came to the first day of the Musha Shugyo (predebut training period) live performance. It was a time when we received a lot of love, and I still vividly remember the view from that stage. Now we have a fan name “LOVERED” and we call them “LOVERED members”. Now we want to keep running together so that we can deliver our love through music!

SUZUKI: I am very happy to have received the Rising Star Award Presented by YOKOHAMA at MTV VMAJ 2023. Every moment is an important moment, and I am not just focused on the form or the result, but as a professional, I want to be an artist who can produce solid results, so I was happy to be able to give form to that desire.

GHEE: Musha Shugyo. We had some physical hardships, some voice difficulties, and the stage environment was not very good, but the training definitely increased our experience in live performance and helped us grow. Especially our performance on our debut day during the hot summer season, when many people came to see us in a shopping mall, is a page of deep memories for me.

HIROTO: My best memory is when LOVERED showed us red hearts as a surprise to us at the final of the first Musha Shugyou training when we were being judged for points with our debut on the line.

Do you guys have any plans on how you guys will be celebrating the occasion?

RYOJI: I definitely want to celebrate with everyone at LOVERED, whether it be through live streaming or otherwise!

SUZUKI: I would like to communicate properly with my fans. It would be best if we could do events.

GHEE: I would like to share the same time together with LOVERED.

HIROTO: I wish I had the opportunity to meet the fans in person! I would love to celebrate with a live stream!

You guys must have a lot of future goals, either as WOLF HOWL HARMONY or as individuals. What do you guys want to achieve within the next year?

RYOJI: We have the goal of a solo live show and album production for WOLF HOWL HARMONY. We are also thinking that we will be able to establish some things through the solo live shows with the album, and although there are four members on the album, there may be other songs sung by the two of us, solo songs, and other free compositions, which will spice up our music. I hope you will look forward to our future music!

SUZUKI: First of all, I would like to accomplish the release of an album and a solo performance. Personally, I would like to also further improve my singing and dancing.

GHEE: We would like to do a solo tour next year. We have no experience in touring yet, and we are just starting out, so we would like to increase our experience by doing our own solo tour first, and establish our own color.

HIROTO: I would like to do a solo tour as a group. In order to do so, we will need more songs, and we would like to release many songs that will please everyone in LOVERED!

The post Interview: WOLF HOWL HARMONY From EXILE TRIBE On Their Music, Their Seniors & Future Goals appeared first on Hype MY.



Post a Comment

0 Comments