Interview: Saint Kylo On Releasing New Music, Songwriting & His Fav Local Restaurant

You’re likely a longtime fan if you’ve been following Kyren Thomas since his Ryot Jones days when he founded the all-male funk band in 2016. Since venturing into his solo career, the KL-based artist now goes by Saint Kylo. Since his debut single “BAD BAD” 2 years ago, this multifaceted musician has been booked and busy, performing at music festivals and local gigs.

On the heels of his upcoming single and new EP, Saint Kylo discuss his songwriting process, pre-performance rituals and staying authentic, especially in an industry that can sometimes be superficial. If you’ve enjoyed his high octane and energetic live shows, then we’d recommend catching him live at Jao Tim KL on 26th October. “If you’re lucky I’ll preview the latest single specially for the audience that night,” he teased.

Can you remember your first concert? Who was it & how did it make you feel?

Of course I do. It was the Sunburst Music Festival in 2008. I’ll never forget it. I as a wide eyed 16 year old got to watch absolute heavyweights like Incubus, John Legend, George Clinton & The Parliament Funk, The Roots & Raul Midon do their thing live. The best part though was being able to catch my older sister do backing vocals for Joe Flizzow during his set. Definitely one of the most important days in my life. I knew pretty much from then on that this was what I was gonna do the rest of my life. I wanted to make people feel what I felt that day watching all of them make magic on stage.

How much of your songwriting is based on reality, fantasy or other people’s experience?

It really is a mix and match. Some songs that I write like my second single “Carole Baskin” have such a deep story and meaning behind it all. Essentially it’s my love hate relationship with my music career and the stuff that comes along with doing music full time here in Malaysia. But other times it’s just me being a cheeky lil’ bastard and having fun with things. Like my single “Bad Bad,” it’s just a catchy tune. Put some funky lyrics behind a kickass beat and kapoowwwzah. Put it out. 

Sometimes I try to convince myself that I should tell people that ALL my songs have super deep meanings behind them. But I’d be lying. Some songs are deep, some songs are just a good time.

Do you have a favourite lyric from your own songs?

I do. I think it’s definitely in my song ‘Carole Baskin’ where I say, “The death of the preacher, his soul to keep, to you I belong, my soul to meet, I washed all your hair, I washed your feet.” 

Just to put context to it: The entire song it’s just me talking to ‘Music’ like it’s the love of my life.

“The death of the preacher, his soul to keep” line directly refers to me ending my journey with my old band which I lead and was apart of for 4 years and how regardless of it I’d keep moving forward and continue to worship Music as a whole.

What do you do to calm your nerves before a live performance?

Nowadays I just keep it simple. I just warmup my vocals, stretch (cause I’m old and can’t afford to mess up my knees and back) and have a good time hanging with my bandmates. I thankfully have some of the coolest and most kickass musicians backing me who just happen to be some of my closest mates. I’m really lucky. They always get me super hype and keep me level before shows regardless of how big or small. So usually we’re all just laughing and shootin’ the shits and having a good time.

Do you have plans on releasing new music?

I’M WORKING ON AN EP RIGHT NOW! Super nervous about it la. But stoked as well to just be putting out music for my fans. They’ve been super patient and loyal to me. I appreciate it more than anything tbh. I haven’t got a name for the whole thing yet. When the new songs and EP are ready, I just hope whoever it reaches that they like it and find comfort or joy in it. <3

What influences determine the style or risks you take in your career?

My music really is Me. If you know me and know my music, you know it’s two of the same thing. It’s just the different facets of my personality or persona. Live it’s always a good time. Its ups, downs, the pretty and my ugly. All at the same time. I leave it all up there or on record every single time. In terms of risks, I just weigh what the outcomes are if I’m being honest. I’m not gonna risk anything if the outcomes are not worth it. But if it is, then I’ll jump on it. I’ve been doing this for so long, Saint Kylo is only 4 years old, but I’ve been in the music scene since I was 17 years old. That’s 15 solid years.

Favourite thing(s) to do on a day off?

Hang at home or with my band mates. Write music. It’s genuinely all I do all the time. Maybe draw a little on the side. I have officially evolved into an uncle la. Got my kad warga emas (senior citizen) early. Very much a homebody nowadays.

If a friend from abroad were to visit Malaysia, what food or attraction would you recommend for them to try?

Shoutout to Restoran Heng Kee in Taman Melawati – everything is good AF there! (laughs) that and roti canai kut.

Best (most helpful) and worst advice you’ve received.

Best Advice: Write and perform original music as much as you can. Be yourself. Love those around you. Find humility within yourself. Control that ego. Don’t come late to soundchecks regardless of how famous you are and don’t be rude to PR people, events teams, sound people and sponsors. Thank those who help, elevate or give you a hand. Treat others as how you’d wanna be treated and be willing to learn from your mistakes. Practice, practice, practice!

Worst Advice: Eh do this TikTok trend! Eh change your personality to be like this insert template artist! Eh write more stuff for radio! Number of song streams = Actual ticket sales.

The post Interview: Saint Kylo On Releasing New Music, Songwriting & His Fav Local Restaurant appeared first on Hype Malaysia.



Post a Comment

0 Comments