Ross Butler On His Mom’s Penang Roots & Favourite Malaysian Dish

Ross Butler has been busy doing various rounds interviews over the past few weeks to promote Netflix’s “To All the Boys: Always and Forever”.

In speaking to KLIPS, the 30-year-old actor was asked if he has an all-time favourite Asian dish. In case you didn’t know, Ross is actually half-Malaysian. He was born in Singapore but the family moved to America when he was 4.

Source: Men’s Fashion Post/ Google Images

So there’s two. My mom makes Penang curry because she’s from Penang and she taught me a recipe and that’s great and all. But roti canai is my favourite,” the actor was quoted as saying. “I try to explain to my white friends what the bread is, (but) I don’t know how to describe it. It’s like flaky but soft. I could eat it every day.”

In a recent Vogue feature, Ross also talked about how he’s been exercising self-care during the Covid-19 pandemic. Take a look at the 6 activities that have been keeping the Asian heartthrob sane over the past few months.

Source: Ross Butler via Vogue

1. Learning new instruments – “I played a lot of music in quarantine. I play piano and guitar, but decided I wanted to learn something new, so I bought an inexpensive saxophone off of Amazon and I loved it. It’s an interesting medium between piano and singing where you have keys to press, but you are still using your breath.”

2. Reading literature – “I started reading books on stories, and why we as humans have been telling them since before recorded history and why we continue to crave them. Understanding characters that go back to the Greek classics, and seeing how they evolved into our current iterations, has been extremely enlightening.”

3. Perfecting his morning coffee – “During the lockdown, I have had the time to finally get back to making pour-over coffee. In the pursuit of your perfect cup of coffee, it’s easy to get lost in balancing beans roasts, grind fineness, and water temperature, amongst other variables.”

Source: Ross Butler via Vogue

4. Playing chess again – “I played a lot of chess growing up, but after watching ‘The Queen’s Gambit’ on Netflix, I was inspired to pick it back up. Chess is one of those games that you can never truly master and takes a long time to play.”

5. Wood carving – “One thing I’ve learned from carving is to trust in the process. Whatever you are carving looks nothing like the end product until the last 10% when you finally get to the details. You just have to trust that you will know what to do and how it should look like when you get closer. It’s a lesson in adaptation.”

6. Exploring scenic routes – “Over the lockdown, I got my motorcycle license and I was able to ride with my friends to Malibu and other scenic places around L.A. The feeling of riding down the PCH [Pacific Coast Highway] after being stuck in the house for weeks on end was very freeing. As a Los Angeleno, it was also irresistible to take advantage of the lack of traffic.”

Source: Ross Butler via Vogue

What about you? How have you been staying sane during MCO?

The post Ross Butler On His Mom’s Penang Roots & Favourite Malaysian Dish appeared first on Hype Malaysia.



Post a Comment

0 Comments